This page provides some details regarding hosting the Emergency Response for the Athlete (ERA) Course for up to 90 students, and the Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) Recertification Course for up to 90 students.
We provide the ERA Course:
- The Emergency Response for the Athlete Course (ERA). The ERA course provides 20 continuing competency units (CCU) for PTs and 17.5 CCU (Cat A) for ATs upon successful completion. The course is approved as satisfying the ABPTS Acute Management of Injury and Illness requirement for qualification for the Sports Clinical Specialty. It is a new hybrid course comprised of a didactic self-paced portion accomplished online, followed by an in-person portion. The in-person portion is taught over a two-day period. The cost is $350.00 for the ERA Student, and $550.00 for the ERA Professional. The certification is good for 3 years. This course debuted in 2018, and will replace the EMR in our course offerings beginning in 2020.
- The Emergency Response for the Athlete Recertification Course: New ERA Recertification course will be online 2021 consisting of your chouice of 3 modules on specific sports topics and then you attend a 1 day hands on practical based course
Our hosts include hospitals, large and small practices, professional sports teams, universities, individual clinicians and students. Hosts often choose to provide more than one type of course at a time. When this is the case, separate sites are used for each course.
Open v Closed Courses
We offer Open and Closed courses in support of the host’s needs. An Open course is one for which registration is open to the public, enabling participation from outside of the hosting organization. The Open course is characterized by course listing and registration through the Cogent Steps and the AASPT websites. Cogent Steps handles advertising, registration, certificate production and administration, and instructor’s(s’)/presenter’s(s’) equipment, travel, housing, food, etc.
A Closed course is typically not published online as it is available only to those who are specifically invited by and register through the host. In this case either the host coordinates registration and billing in consultation with Cogent Steps, or the host distributes a password to those potential registrants. This former process is generally completed about three weeks prior to the course taking place. Payment must be received at least 14 days prior to the scheduled course. The latter sees the course listed as Closed online, and registration is password protected. For Closed courses, Cogent Steps will be responsible for certificate production and administration, and instructors and instructional materials.
The incentive to host a course is primarily the ability to set schedule, minimize cost for staff member CE and certification, and to increase access to CE. In addition, we offer a hosting incentive payment for our multi-day courses. For each of these courses which achieve at least 15 registrants, we
pay the host $230.00. This payment is typically made within three weeks of the course concluding.
We achieve greater success in scheduling courses at least ten weeks in the future. This allows for communication of the course schedule, registration and student preparation. Our schedule is open three years in advance to enable hosts to plan long-term and to facilitate the same planning for clinicians and students regarding the continuing competence requirements.
A course typically must have at least 12 students registered two weeks prior to the scheduled date(s) to avoid rescheduling or cancellation. The host may opt to provide the financial compensation for the additional number of students to bring the total to 12. This is a rare occurrence, and is addressed in close consultation and coordination with the host.
What the Host Provides
The hosting organization provides:
- A conference room set up classrooms style with AV equipment (projector to which we will connect a laptop via VGA or HDMI, a screen or surface on which to project)
- Enough space to perform practical application instruction including CPR and Spine boarding
- Two fully rigged spine board per 15 students
- An E-series or smaller portable oxygen delivery system (does NOT need to be charged)
There is no fee owed by the host to Cogent Steps. We pay our costs from student registration fees.